Quality Assurance Technician II (Nights)
SunOpta Inc. is a leader in the plant-based foods and beverages, fruit-based foods and beverages, and organic ingredient sourcing industries. SunOpta is focused on sustainability and specializes in the sourcing, processing, and packaging of organic, conventional, non-GMO food products.
SunOpta is looking for talented individuals that demonstrate our most valued behaviors: Passion, Dedication, Speed, Entrepreneurship, Customer-Centricity, and Problem-Solver, to help create a brighter, healthier, and sustainable future of food!
The Quality Assurance (QA) Technician is responsible for performing necessary laboratory testing to ensure ingredients, product and packaging conform to specifications. QA Technician follows written and verbal instructions to determine that quality and efficiency standards are being met. In addition, the QA Technician is responsible for the efficiency, safety and quality of laboratory work and for effective communication relative to shift and plant performance.
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Assure package integrity and product quality by performing laboratory testing and aseptic package evaluation procedures.
- Perform laboratory testing such as pH, solids/moisture, sodium, etc.
- Perform destructive aseptic package testing.
- Assist with investigations related to product spoilage.
- Collect and communicate lab data with Quality Supervisor and Operations Shift Leaders.
- Perform incubation activities according to standard operating procedures.
- Maintain a clean and organized workstation.
- Troubleshoot and resolve basic to moderate operating difficulties involving area equipment.
- Responsible for laboratory equipment calibrations at specified intervals.
- Accurately prepares and maintains all area paperwork.
- Perform microbiology testing including basic plating in clean room environment, stocking lab, shipping samples, retrieving results, and communicating to management as needed.
- All other duties, as assigned.
- Follow all facility human and food safety policies including proper use of PPE
- Report all near misses and accidents to the production supervisor
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to conduct required testing for products prior to processing, after processing and prior to product release
- Must comply and support the HACCP program
- Cooperates with other shifts and management team for facility housekeeping endeavors
- Ensure teamwork with management and operators occurs during each scheduled shift
Teamwork and Training
- Promote and contribute to the development of teamwork among production team members
- Continuous learning of the Aseptic batching, sterilization and filling processes
Level I Qualifications:
- Must learn and perform consistently the above essential duties
Level II Qualifications:
- Must master Level I tasks
- Ability to coach and train others in QA technician position
- Subject Matter Expert and Primary trainer for microbiology tasks
- Communicate and escalate results as appropriate
Knowledge and Skills:
- Confident with independent work.
- Able to evaluate a situation and make a good decision or escalate appropriately.
- Good past work history.
- Good attendance.
- Able to stand for long periods of time.
- Able to do repetitive work.
- Able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds and at times more.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 2+ years related experience in Food Science/Food Technology, or a food or beverage production facility.
- Travel: Some travel may be required to various locations for meetings and other job-related functions.
- Location: This position will be located at our new SunOpta Plant in Midlothian, TX.
- Shift: This will be a 2-2-3 Night Shift, 6 pm - 6 am.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Job Family Quality Assurance
- Job Function Non-manager
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education High School
- Midlothian Facility, 4126 Power Way, Midlothian, Texas, United States of America