Plant Manager II
SunOpta Inc. is a leader in the plant-based foods and beverages, fruit-based foods and beverages, and organic ingredient sourcing industries. SunOpta is focused on sustainability and specializes in the sourcing, processing, and packaging of organic, conventional, non-GMO food products.
SunOpta is looking for talented individuals that demonstrate our most valued behaviors: Passion, Dedication, Speed, Entrepreneurship, Customer-Centricity, and Problem-Solver, to help create a brighter, healthier, and sustainable future of food!
This position provides overall plant leadership for SunOpta facilities. This position directs the Manufacturing, Packaging, Warehousing, Distribution, Quality, Human Resources, Safety, Customer Service, and purchasing functions at the plant level. This position is also responsible for ensuring that products are produced in a safe, sanitary environment conforming to recognized industry GMP’s and delivered in accordance with industry standards and customer specifications.
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Establish cost savings and goals involving staff, vendors, and customers to achieve the lowest possible manufacturing costs.
- Develop and implement effective supply chain management programs linking procurement, processing, packaging, and distribution into a seamless process and ensuring that adequate programs are in place in all disciplines to ensure maximum efficiency.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all business functions internal and external to the plant. Efficiently utilize all equipment, raw material, packaging materials and staff to ensure the lowest possible cost.
- Establish plant quality programs that ensure the compliance with all federal, state, local and customer requirements. Ensures that in line quality controls are established to detect and correct quality failures and reduce out of specification product. Ensure that adequate reporting is in place to facilitate continuous improvement programs and provide efficient tractability and recall requirements.
- Ensure that all Health and Safety programs comply with state and federal regulations. Conduct monthly progress and training meetings. Ensure that all accident reports and records are timely and in compliance.
- Ensure compliance with all company GMP’s, local, state, and federal regulatory agencies, organic certifying organizations and Kosher organization and third-party certifying agencies.
- Work with current and existing customers to develop an environment of mutual trust and understanding establishing SunOpta Ingredients as the supplier of choice for manufacturing and packaging.
- Coordinate all plant purchasing activities establishing and delegating accountabilities and signing authority as may be appropriate.
- Work closely with the Maintenance Manager developing preventative maintenance programs and procedures to reduce mechanical downtime and ensuring that breakdowns are repaired with a minimum of processing disruption.
- Conduct weekly meetings with the Maintenance and Production Manager to develop corrective action plans and assigns priorities relative to improving production reliability and reducing downtime.
- Establish effective communication practices that provide operating information to operators, staff and upper management on a daily, monthly basis ensuring that all parts of the company have the information necessary to affect continuous improvement. Items to be covered; identify issues, production schedules, cost controls, budget compliance and implementation of corrective action plans.
- Ensure that Human Resources programs are in place addressing the selection, training, development, motivation, and cultural expectations of all plant employees and the company. Ensure that job descriptions are up to date and that reviews are conducted on a periodic basis, at a minimum annually.
- Responsible for direct reports: Production Supervisors, Maintenance Manager, Warehouse Manager, Quality Manager, Planner/Buyer, and other plant management roles.
- Indirect reports consist of multiple shifts for production operators, warehouse operators, maintenance techs, and other operational positions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function of the job satisfactorily. The items listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Biology, Chemistry or Packaging or related degree.
- 8-10 years of experience in production engineering, production supervision and plant management. 5 plus years aseptic or sterile food processing experience is a plus.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage human relations issues in a non-union environment.
- Must be a self-starter capable of developing and maintaining a team environment.
- Demonstrate an ability to be proactive in all phases of the operation.
- Have an operating knowledge of computer and computer applications.
- Demonstrated ability in analytical problem solving.
- Some travel required.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Majority of work is performed in plant and office environment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
- Job Family Operations
- Job Function First-line manager
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Allentown Facility, 7108 Daniels Drive, Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States of America